Sunday, July 19, 2009

July makes you buy stuff

Every summer I spend at home, there's always one point at which my hormones get low, suddenly God turns up the humidity while my parents scowl at the idea of putting in the air conditioners and the shade of the trees loses its charm when I can no longer enjoy the evening temperature drop off as the mosquitoes stake their claim on my ankles and arms.

This, coinciding with my continued subscription to Vogue that I can't seem to run away from, without fail stirs up the materialistic creature purring in the depths of my well-stocked closet. First, too lazy to leave the house in search of satiation, I ransack my mother's wardrobe even though I already know what's there. Half of what I wear the most now is hers anyway. My search for the navy blue sweater with the perfect amount of box in the shoulders was futile. My house seems to eat up clothes.

Now I've suddenly developed the urge to update my makeup inventory, which I have to say is rather pitiable. Yesterday the kind people at abc.com provided my eyes with an attractive ad for the makeup artist collaborations with Target. Afterall, Target is where I first discovered the UK brand Boots. Jemma Kid, Napoleon Perdis and Petra Strand are all happy accomplices with the fancy mart called "tar-jé" with a variety of decent products but should I really be paying $20 for cheek tint? Yes I understand its aloe vera based but aren't these things supposed to be more affordable when you've got the red and white bullseye on your side?

Then again I know next to nothing about makeup. My entire inventory is borrowed save the one foundation that I live by - Almay's magical smart shade foundation. Lip and eyes add up to under $30. I have one shade of peach blush that I use from a pallette from lord knows how many christmases ago... I don't think expensive makeup makes a difference, but all the same a decent copper eyeshadow, some brown liner and mascara and an actual separate blush couldn't hurt right? Perhaps I'll do as the parisian girls do and leave my makeup subtle but tease my hair like mad. I will have to work on a sufficient cigarette replacement to achieve the limp hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment